Design Report Notes
1. Executive Summary: (10 points):
- Provide a summary description of your selected design and why it is the best solution to the specified mission requirements.
- Describe your key mission requirements and design features keyed to those requirements.
- Document the performance/capabilities of your system solution.
2. Management Summary (5 points):
- Describe the organization of the design team.
- Provide a chart of design personnel and assignment areas.
- Provide a milestone chart showing planned and actual timing of the design / fabrication / testing processes.
3. Conceptual Design (15 points):
- Describe mission requirements (problem statement).
- Translate mission requirements into design requirements.
- Review solution concepts/configurations considered.
- Describe concept weighting, selection process and results.
4. Preliminary Design (20 points):
- Describe design/analysis methodology
- Document design/sizing trades
- Describe/document mission model (capabilities and uncertainties)
- Provide estimates of the aircraft lift, drag and stability characteristics.
- Provide estimates of the aircraft mission performance.
5. Detail Design (30 points total. 15 points for discussion items, 15 points for drawing package):
- Document dimensional parameters of final design.
- Document structural characteristics/capabilities of final design.
- Document systems and sub-systems design/component selection/integration/architecture.
- Document Weight and Balance for final design. Must include a Weight & Balance table for the empty aircraft and with each of the possible payloads
- Document flight performance parameters for final design.
- Document mission performance for final design.
- 3-View drawing with dimensions.
- Structural arrangement drawing.
- Systems layout/location drawing.
- Payload(s) accommodation drawing(s).
6. Manufacturing Plan and processes (5 points):
- Document the process selected for manufacture of major components and assemblies of the final design.
- Detail the manufacturing processes investigated and the selection process/results.
- Include a manufacturing milestone chart showing scheduled and actual event timings.
7. Testing Plan (5 points):
- Detail testing objectives, schedules, and check-lists.
8. Performance Results (10 points):
- Describe the demonstrated performance of key subsystems and compare it to predictions from Section 5. Explain any differences and improvements made.
- Describe the demonstrated performance of your complete aircraft solution and compare it to predictions from Section5. Explain any differences and improvements made.